Thursday 9 June 2011

Hafiz





Rumi is, rightly, celebrated as a bringer of Sufi wisdom to our collective doorsteps.  Hafiz, maybe, is less well known.  I have a delicious yellow book called The Gift, which is full of Hafiz's poems as translated by Daniel Ladinsky. Here is one called:


LET'S EAT


Why
Just show you God's menu?
Hell, we are all
Starving -
Let's
Eat!


Another:

EVERYWHERE

Running
Through the street
Screaming,

Throwing rocks through windows,
Using my own head to ring
Great bells,

Pulling out my hair,
Tearing off my clothes,

Tying everything I own
To a stick,
And setting it on
Fire.

What else can Hafiz do tonight
To celebrate the madness,
The joy,

Of seeing God
Everywhere!



Hafiz lived at around the same time as Chaucer, and his work became known in the West largely through Goethe and subsequent translations by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Daniel Ladinsky has, as far as I know, published two other volumes of Hafiz's poetry in translation, The Subject Tonight is Love and I Heard God Laughing.









No comments:

Post a Comment